Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes: The case of glucose-lowering medicines

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

Standard

Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes : The case of glucose-lowering medicines. / Warrer, Pernille; Jensen, Peter Bjødstrup; Aagaard, Lise; Jensen, Lars Juhl; Brunak, Søren; Krag, Malene Hammer; Rossing, Peter; Almdal, Thomas; Andersen, Henrik Ullits; Hansen, Ebba Holme.

In: Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice, Vol. 4, No. 2, 20.05.2015, p. 64-72.

Research output: Contribution to journalJournal articleResearchpeer-review

Harvard

Warrer, P, Jensen, PB, Aagaard, L, Jensen, LJ, Brunak, S, Krag, MH, Rossing, P, Almdal, T, Andersen, HU & Hansen, EH 2015, 'Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes: The case of glucose-lowering medicines', Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 64-72. https://doi.org/10.4103/2279-042X.155753

APA

Warrer, P., Jensen, P. B., Aagaard, L., Jensen, L. J., Brunak, S., Krag, M. H., ... Hansen, E. H. (2015). Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes: The case of glucose-lowering medicines. Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice, 4(2), 64-72. https://doi.org/10.4103/2279-042X.155753

Vancouver

Warrer P, Jensen PB, Aagaard L, Jensen LJ, Brunak S, Krag MH et al. Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes: The case of glucose-lowering medicines. Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice. 2015 May 20;4(2):64-72. https://doi.org/10.4103/2279-042X.155753

Author

Warrer, Pernille ; Jensen, Peter Bjødstrup ; Aagaard, Lise ; Jensen, Lars Juhl ; Brunak, Søren ; Krag, Malene Hammer ; Rossing, Peter ; Almdal, Thomas ; Andersen, Henrik Ullits ; Hansen, Ebba Holme. / Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes : The case of glucose-lowering medicines. In: Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice. 2015 ; Vol. 4, No. 2. pp. 64-72.

Bibtex

@article{c765bcabaa2046b08142aeccd861addd,
title = "Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes: The case of glucose-lowering medicines",
abstract = "OBJECTIVE: Through manual review of clinical notes for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending a Danish diabetes center, the aim of the study was to identify adverse drug reactions (ADRs) associated with three classes of glucose-lowering medicines: {"}Combinations of oral blood-glucose lowering medicines{"} (A10BD), {"}dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DDP-4) inhibitors{"} (A10BH), and {"}other blood glucose lowering medicines{"} (A10BX). Specifically, we aimed to describe the potential of clinical notes to identify new ADRs and to evaluate if sufficient information can be obtained for causality assessment.METHODS: For observed adverse events (AEs) we extracted time to onset, outcome, and suspected medicine(s). AEs were assessed according to World Health Organization-Uppsala Monitoring Centre causality criteria and analyzed with respect to suspected medicines, type of ADR (system organ class), seriousness and labeling status.FINDINGS: A total of 207 patients were included in the study leading to the identification of 163 AEs. 14{\%} were categorized as certain, 60{\%} as probable/likely, and 26{\%} as possible. 15 (9{\%}) ADRs were unlabeled of which two were serious: peripheral edema associated with sitagliptin and stomach ulcer associated with liraglutide. Of the unlabeled ADRs, 13 (87{\%}) were associated with {"}other blood glucose lowering medications,{"} the remaining 2 (13{\%}) with {"}DDP-4 inhibitors.{"}CONCLUSION: Clinical notes could potentially reveal unlabeled ADRs associated with prescribed medicines and sufficient information is generally available for causality assessment. However, manual review of clinical notes is too time-consuming for routine use and hence there is a need for developing information technology (IT) tools for automatic screening of patient records with the purpose to detect information about potentially serious and unlabeled ADRs.",
author = "Pernille Warrer and Jensen, {Peter Bj{\o}dstrup} and Lise Aagaard and Jensen, {Lars Juhl} and S{\o}ren Brunak and Krag, {Malene Hammer} and Peter Rossing and Thomas Almdal and Andersen, {Henrik Ullits} and Hansen, {Ebba Holme}",
year = "2015",
month = "5",
day = "20",
doi = "10.4103/2279-042X.155753",
language = "English",
volume = "4",
pages = "64--72",
journal = "Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice",
issn = "2319-9644",
publisher = "Medknow Publications and Media Pvt. Ltd.",
number = "2",

}

RIS

TY - JOUR

T1 - Identification of possible adverse drug reactions in clinical notes

T2 - The case of glucose-lowering medicines

AU - Warrer, Pernille

AU - Jensen, Peter Bjødstrup

AU - Aagaard, Lise

AU - Jensen, Lars Juhl

AU - Brunak, Søren

AU - Krag, Malene Hammer

AU - Rossing, Peter

AU - Almdal, Thomas

AU - Andersen, Henrik Ullits

AU - Hansen, Ebba Holme

PY - 2015/5/20

Y1 - 2015/5/20

N2 - OBJECTIVE: Through manual review of clinical notes for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending a Danish diabetes center, the aim of the study was to identify adverse drug reactions (ADRs) associated with three classes of glucose-lowering medicines: "Combinations of oral blood-glucose lowering medicines" (A10BD), "dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DDP-4) inhibitors" (A10BH), and "other blood glucose lowering medicines" (A10BX). Specifically, we aimed to describe the potential of clinical notes to identify new ADRs and to evaluate if sufficient information can be obtained for causality assessment.METHODS: For observed adverse events (AEs) we extracted time to onset, outcome, and suspected medicine(s). AEs were assessed according to World Health Organization-Uppsala Monitoring Centre causality criteria and analyzed with respect to suspected medicines, type of ADR (system organ class), seriousness and labeling status.FINDINGS: A total of 207 patients were included in the study leading to the identification of 163 AEs. 14% were categorized as certain, 60% as probable/likely, and 26% as possible. 15 (9%) ADRs were unlabeled of which two were serious: peripheral edema associated with sitagliptin and stomach ulcer associated with liraglutide. Of the unlabeled ADRs, 13 (87%) were associated with "other blood glucose lowering medications," the remaining 2 (13%) with "DDP-4 inhibitors."CONCLUSION: Clinical notes could potentially reveal unlabeled ADRs associated with prescribed medicines and sufficient information is generally available for causality assessment. However, manual review of clinical notes is too time-consuming for routine use and hence there is a need for developing information technology (IT) tools for automatic screening of patient records with the purpose to detect information about potentially serious and unlabeled ADRs.

AB - OBJECTIVE: Through manual review of clinical notes for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending a Danish diabetes center, the aim of the study was to identify adverse drug reactions (ADRs) associated with three classes of glucose-lowering medicines: "Combinations of oral blood-glucose lowering medicines" (A10BD), "dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DDP-4) inhibitors" (A10BH), and "other blood glucose lowering medicines" (A10BX). Specifically, we aimed to describe the potential of clinical notes to identify new ADRs and to evaluate if sufficient information can be obtained for causality assessment.METHODS: For observed adverse events (AEs) we extracted time to onset, outcome, and suspected medicine(s). AEs were assessed according to World Health Organization-Uppsala Monitoring Centre causality criteria and analyzed with respect to suspected medicines, type of ADR (system organ class), seriousness and labeling status.FINDINGS: A total of 207 patients were included in the study leading to the identification of 163 AEs. 14% were categorized as certain, 60% as probable/likely, and 26% as possible. 15 (9%) ADRs were unlabeled of which two were serious: peripheral edema associated with sitagliptin and stomach ulcer associated with liraglutide. Of the unlabeled ADRs, 13 (87%) were associated with "other blood glucose lowering medications," the remaining 2 (13%) with "DDP-4 inhibitors."CONCLUSION: Clinical notes could potentially reveal unlabeled ADRs associated with prescribed medicines and sufficient information is generally available for causality assessment. However, manual review of clinical notes is too time-consuming for routine use and hence there is a need for developing information technology (IT) tools for automatic screening of patient records with the purpose to detect information about potentially serious and unlabeled ADRs.

U2 - 10.4103/2279-042X.155753

DO - 10.4103/2279-042X.155753

M3 - Journal article

C2 - 25984543

VL - 4

SP - 64

EP - 72

JO - Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice

JF - Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice

SN - 2319-9644

IS - 2

ER -

ID: 137750300